Friday, March 11, 2011

Spring is coming...

There may still be some snow on the ground here in the central Hudson Valley, less now with the recent torrential rains, but signs of spring are definitely starting to appear around my house.

Flocks of American robins (Turdus migratorius) have appeared in the few snow-free areas of my yard (they look like they're eating worms) and I hear the distinctive trill of red-winged blackbirds (Agelaius phoeniceus) in the mornings (and have seen a few at my birdfeeder).

The true sign on spring, as far as I'm concerned, hasn't happened yet, the waking of the spring peepers (Pseudacris crucifer).  Given that our house is surrounded by wetlands, these tiny frogs start up an almost deafening chorus when they begin their mating in spring.  It's a sound that connects me to my earliest childhood memories of spring.

I also look forward to the turning ahead of the clocks on Saturday night.  I could care less about it being light early in the morning but love those longer hours of sunlight with each passing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment