Sunday, February 17, 2013

Stone heads on the Hudson

Quite a while ago, I saw something, somewhere about a fellow named Theodore Ludwiczak who lived in Haverstraw, NY along the Hudson River.  Ludwiczak had an unusual hobby - he found stones along the river, would carry them up to his house, and carve faces in them.  It became a bit of an obsession with him and he stacked them around his house.  Here's an article about him.

I always had it in the back of my mind to stop sometime and see this and finally had the opportunity today.  While driving along Route 9W in Haverstraw, on a whim, we drove down Riverside Avenue to Mr. Ludwiczak's house.  Here are a couple of pictures...

 
 
We didn't do anything other than stop on the road for a couple of pictures and briefly admire his creations.  I'm trying to talk my wife (an artist) to try her hand at it (Ludwiczak starting carving using just a mallet and an old lawnmower blade - I've got one of those my shed!) but she just acted as if I was crazy.
 
If you're ever in the area, it's worth a short detour (Google maps location).

No comments:

Post a Comment