Friday, May 27, 2011

Start a blog...

Posted yesterday about Ben Goldacre's book Bad Science: Quacks, Hacks, and Big Pharma Flacks.  He's also a blogger and, at the very end of his book, was talking about the poor state of science reporting in the media.  His advice was for those who know about science, and care about science literacy, was to write about science.

Now you don't need these people.  Start a blog.  Not everyone will care, but some will, and they will find your work.  Unmediated access to niche expertise is the future, and you know, science isn't hard - academics around the world explain hugely complicated ideas to ignorant eighteen-year-olds every September - it just requires motivation...

There's no money in it, but you knew that when you started on this path.  You will do it because you know that knowledge is beautiful, and because if only a hundred people share your passion, that is enough.

Amen, brother.  That's exactly why I write this blog.

3 comments:

  1. That's an awesome quote ... makes me want to get that book now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is an awesome quotation! I spent the last ten years teaching at a state university as both a faculty member and an academic librarian. "Open access" and "unmediated access" are, indeed, the future.

    What concerns me is that so many students seem to believe that "if it's published, it must be true (digital or hard copy formats)." They don't evaluate their sources, and limit themselves to whatever they can find online -- when at least occasionally, there's a book sitting right on the library shelf that can either give them, or lead them to, exactly what they need (even born-digital materials!).

    Access to information is the least of our problems -- it's the process of determining the difference between "noise" and solid information that will truly grow one's knowledge base.

    There are few greater joys than grappling with a difficult problem and discovering the solution, or butting heads with your polar opposite and being able to walk away with, at least, a better understanding of each other, if not total agreement. As a member of a minority group, my education is my most precious asset. I started out to get one because my parents never bothered to tell me there was any other option. I also sought an education because I, like anyone else, wanted respect, and standing, and success. Despite all I've accomplished, that hasn't always been the case. Like many people in my position, I've had to fight the "you're-just-an-affirmative-action-hire-who-probably-took-away-a-job-from-a-more-qualified-white-person" accusation. So, while mama was wrong about the respect part, she was right about the fact that "knowledge and your integrity are always, unquestionably yours."

    Good people respect this. And they don't always look like us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you say HazMatHoney Gazette!

    ReplyDelete