Sunday, May 9, 2010

Long time between posts

Busy with end of semester stuff.  Here's a grab bag of stuff I found interesting.

Dot Physics has an good short post titled It's Good to Be Wrong.  Reminds me of students in my geology labs complaining the labs are hard because they don't know any of the answers.  Of course not, you have to work to get the answers.  If you knew all the answers and could just fill it out and go home it's busy work, not a learning experience.  It's much better to try and end up with an incorrect answer than to not try at all.

New research has shown genetic overlap between modern humans (in Eurasia) and Neanderthals - evidence of interbreeding.  The standard view has been we're separate species - Home sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis.  It seems we're really subspecies - Homo sapiens sapiens and Homo sapiens neanderthalensis.  Given my occipital bun, along with a Finn and German ancestry, probably means there are a few Neanderthal genes floating in my gene pool!

Fun website where you can make your own movies at www.xtranormal.com.  My wife and I have been making crazy ones and posting them on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment