Saturday, August 14, 2010

How to piss off your professor

Or anyone else, for that matter...

Came in special the other morning, just for a student who's been procrastinating on getting registered for the fall semester.  He should have done this last April but nevermind.  Makes my job harder because many classes are now closed and I have to check enrollments for everything.  He wanders in 45 minutes late for his appointment totally unprepared.  No "I'm sorry" or anything.

Those of you who are in academia probably aren't surprised by this.  Talking to my colleagues, it's very common for students to make appointments and then wander in extremely late or never show without an explanation or apology.  It's also common for many students to show up completely clueless about what they need to take and completely apathetic about their education (then you look at their transcripts and see all the Ds and Fs).

Sometimes I just want to ask them "Dude, what the hell are you even doing here?"

But we can't because we want their money.  (Oh I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?)

Anyway, you would think it's not a good idea to piss off your academic advisor or professor.  Someone you come to for assistance, accomodations, and recommendations.  I'll never understand it because I'm one of those people who shows up early for everything and get high blood pressure if I'm 2 minutes late for an appointment.

Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of faculty at my institution, including myself, love it when students are motivated and interested in our field.  We will go out of our way to assist them (like come in early some fine summer morning to register their lazy asses).  But don't waste my time.  Unlike these slackers, I have better things to do most days.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you are just an asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?

    There are many things you can call me an asshole for but I'm puzzled by why you would choose this.

    You think it's OK to ask someone to meet with you special on their day off and then show up 45 minutes late without apology? Is that how you treat people? That's being an asshole.

    Maybe you're upset that I'm puzzled by students who are in college yet take no responsibility for their education. Still not sure why that makes me an asshole?

    Perhaps you can elaborate?

    ReplyDelete