Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hey, a new post!

I've really fallen out of the habit of posting on the blog lately.  It's been almost a month since my last post.  My personal and professional life have just been too busy to have the free time necessary to do this.  But, I'll still persist and try to at least get a couple of posts a week in if I can.  I'm working on a geologic post for tomorrow but today I'll just jot down a few random observations...

Happy pi day (pi = 3.14... and today is 3/14 - get it?).  I think I'll celebrate by buying and eating some pie later!


Spring is coming!  I find this time of year maddening since it looks nice out but there's still an icy cold wind at times at the threat of snow still looms (some of the largest Northeastern blizzards have occurred in March).  I've seen some crocuses popping up and flocks of red-winged blackbirds (Agelaius phoeniceus) have been moving though my area this week.  The other day, the trees outside my house were loaded with them trilling their distinctive call.

 
Haven't heard the spring peepers yet but I have heard a couple of frogs waking up in the wetlands behind my house.  They will be calling soon - the true sign that spring is here.  I can't wait for that first 65 F day when I can go and find a flat rock in a quiet place and lay out absorbing the warm sun.

Still looking for comet C2011/L4 Panstarrs in the western sky just after sunset.  Here in the Mid-Hudson Valley it was cloudy last Tuesday when this picture was taken from elsewhere (from Bad Astronomy).  Can't believe that every night this week in my area has seen clouds in the western sky at sunset - it's very frustrating!


Leaving for a Northeastern Geological Society of America conference this weekend. It's at the beautiful-looking Mount Washington Hotel at Bretton Woods (at the base of, obviously, Mount Washington in New Hampshire).


I'm hoping to get in a little relaxation too since I'll be free of the home-life pressures and teaching duties for a few days.  I'll let you all know if I learn anything interesting (if anyone reading this will be there, send me an email, we'll grab a beer and talk geology).

No comments:

Post a Comment